Starting Medicine at RSU: A First-Year Student’s Perspective

For this post, I asked a first-semester medical student who started at RSU this autumn to share their first impressions of the university, Riga, the workload, and settling into life abroad.

I’m 18, from India, but lived in Sweden before moving to Riga. I wasn’t always sure what I wanted to do, but after finishing 12th grade I decided I wanted to become a doctor.

My dad found RSU, and since it was more accessible to get into than a lot of other medical universities, I decided to come here. 

Before moving, I heard Latvians were quite introverted and didn’t smile much, and I guess that is kind of true 😭, but that doesn’t mean they’re mean, just more reserved. 

Orientation Week was really fun and helped a lot with starting university. I got lucky with an amazing international group and we all clicked really well.

It hasn’t even been a month and I’m already overwhelmed 😭. The workload is insane and they really mean it when they say med students need to PLAN their schedules. Anatomy is challenging, but somehow Latin is giving it tough competition. Having a Biology and Chemistry background definitely helps, though.

The hardest part for me has been managing my time and not feeling guilty whenever I’m not studying. I really love Riga. I’ve lived in a small town in Sweden and a HUGE city in India, so Riga feels like the perfect balance.

I also 100% recommend the RSU dorms as a first-year because living around other students makes making friends and adjusting to living alone much easier.

Overall, if you’re serious about becoming a doctor, I’d definitely recommend RSU.

Also, don’t keep your tram card loose in your pocket 😭. I lost mine in a mall during my first week, but luckily someone found it and handed it in.

Want to share your own experience at RSU as well? Whether you're a new student or further along in your studies, DM me on instagram! I'd love to feature more student stories. (All posts are anonymous)

Post a Comment

0 Comments